Have you ever wondered who that guy is walking around the dining room with the interesting accent? Well…meet James Taylor, our Food & Beverage Director. James is from Southampton, England, which is on the South Coast of England about 70 miles SW of London. He has been with us for 3 years and comes to us with 20 years experience in the Hospitality Industry. He is responsible for all of the Restaurants and Bars at the Resort. He also makes sure that all meetings, banquets and special events are executed properly. We sat down with James and asked him some fun questions. Don’t miss questions 5 & 6! Great suggestions from James on food & wine.
1. What are the daily functions of a F&B Director? A normal day in the summer involves, managing, training and motivating employees, working with food and liquor vendors, and helping any location that is busy and interacting with guests.
2. Does the menu change every year? How do you decide what to add or take off the menu? Terry, our Chef and I are always looking for ways to update and keep our menus fresh. We both are always on the lookout for exciting trends in food and have long discussions on what we can add to our menus.
3. What is the favorite part of your job? Working with people!
4. What is something interesting about the dining room that people might not know? It is open to the public and isn’t just for guests of the resort, it’s a hidden gem.
5. What is your favorite meal and drink at Ruttger’s? Favorite Meal – Italiano Flatbread at Zigs or the Murlowski Sandwich at the Bear Pine Bar. Favorite Drink – Dark, ‘n’ Stormy (Goslings Black Seal Rum with Ginger Beer).
6. How about a suggestion for our guests….what meal should they try and pair with which wine? We prepare Walleye three different ways at Ruby’s and my favorite is the Shore Style, pairing that with a bottle of the Joel Gott Unoaked Chardonnay is my idea of a great meal!
Thank you, James!
Once a month we will be posting about one of our team members. We feel like our guests are family and want to share our family with you!